DJI Ronin M with 2x smart batteries and accessories
DJI Ronin M 3-Axis Brushless Gimbal Stabilizer
Rental price per day $ 150.00
The Ronin-M 3-Axis Handheld Gimbal Stabilizer from DJI is a camera stabilization system designed to give the operator close to the freedom of unencumbered handheld shooting but without the hand-shake. Suitable for most camera types and configurations up to 8 pounds, the Ronin-M uses brushless motors that work on three axes: one for side-to-side “roll” – keeping the horizon level – one for tilt, and one for pan. The system is computer-controlled and features a tilt range of 105⁰ up / 165⁰ down plus a roll range of ±110⁰. Furthermore, the system boasts a precision of control of ±0.02°, enabling precise camera moves and stability correction against even very fine movements. In addition to handheld shooting, the gimbal can be used in vehicle mounting scenarios and other contexts where vibrations or other abrupt movements would make tripods and rigid camera support systems unsuitable.
The Ronin-M supports dual-operator shooting, much like working with a jib that has a motorized pan/tilt head. In this mode, a second operator would use the included transmitter (radio controller) to manually control camera pan and tilt independently of which way the Ronin-M itself moves. The included transmitter/receiver system operates on 2.4 GHz and is proprietary. If you prefer to use a third-party transmitter there is a D-Bus port on the Ronin-M to install your own receiver.
As with sled and vest style stabilizers, motorized gimbal systems require balancing before use. Once balanced, you can configure the Ronin-M for your particular camera arrangement using the Assistant Software for compatible iOS and Windows (Desktop) devices with Bluetooth. Because every camera and lens combination has a different mass and weight distribution, there is an ATS (Auto Tune Stability) procedure in which each axis will adjust individually, repeating the process until all three are aligned. A gimbal tuning stand is provided so you won’t have to hand-hold the rig during this process.
The included 4S lithium-polymer battery powers the Ronin-M for up to six hours. It is a “smart” battery, meaning power regulation and protection circuitry is built-in and there is no separate balancing lead, unlike many lithium-polymer batteries. A charger is also included, and it is important to always use chargers designed for the Ronin-M battery because of the smart circuitry. Two 12V DC PowerTaps and one USB power port on the camera base allow you to power on-camera accessories directly from the Ronin-M battery to simplify your charging regime and avoid unnecessary added weight.
- For Cameras Up to 8 lb
- The Auto Configuration feature means the Ronin-M can adapt to a range of camera sizes, and is ideally suited for compact video cameras, mirrorless cameras, and DSLRs. It is suitable for payloads up to 8 pounds.
- SmoothTrack Control
- SmoothTrack gives a single gimbal operator the ability to translate their tilt and pan movements of the gimbal into smooth and stabilized movements of the camera’s angle. This is designed to make framing of broad wide-angle scenes or even shooting in close quarters much easier during single gimbal operator use.
- Auto Configuration
- After balancing the camera with a simple tap of the ATS (Auto Tune Stability) button, Ronin-M will be automatically tuned for the mass and weight distribution of your camera rig. The gimbal will intelligently adjust parameters based on the camera rig’s weight and independently adjust each of the three axes until an optimal setting is found.
- Three Operation Modes
- Upright Operation Mode
Upright Mode allows the gimbal to be flipped over so the camera can be operated closer to eye level without straining to lift the gimbal. This can be used in various situations, such mounting on the top of the vehicle.
Underslung (Suspended) Operation Mode
Suspended Operation Mode is the standard operation mode for Ronin-M. Low slung, close to the ground, or simply holding the gimbal in front of you offers stabilized handheld footage. This mode would also be used when mounted the gimbal on a flying platform such as a multirotor RC helicopter.
When a slimmer gimbal profile is needed – such as when moving through doorways or narrow paths – Briefcase Mode is ideal. It allows the gimbal to be held to the side and close to the legs, much like a briefcase.
- Second Operator Control
- Featuring the form factor of an RC aircraft radio controller, the 2.4 GHz Ronin transmitter provides pan and tilt control as well user-assignable speed settings and operation modes via two toggle switches. This allows one operator to hold the gimbal assembly while a second manually controls camera movement remotely. If you would rather use a third-party transmitter a D-bus port is provided as well.
- Optional Thumb Controller for Pan / Tilt
- Single thumb control is possible for the Ronin-M Handheld Gimbal System. These Pan and Tilt movements are controlled via the optional Thumb Controller attachment, available separately. Additionally, SmoothTrack Mode can be turned on or off using the Thumb Controller interface.
- Assistant Software for Mobile and Windows
- A mobile device or computer to run the Assistant Software is essential. It is available for select iOS mobile devices and Windows computers. With the software you can:
- Auto Configure the rig based on the weight and weight distribution of your camera after you’ve balanced it
- Adjust Smoothtrack tuning to user preference
- Enable and configure Second Operator Control
- Run diagnostics and generate stats
- Install firmware updates
The software can interface via USB or wirelessly over Bluetooth
- Tool-Free Adjustment
- A built-in balance adjustment system means no tools are needed for setup and adjustment, saving time when changing the setup for different camera arrangements.
- Universal Mounting
- Beside the handle bars, the gimbal unit can be detached for mounting on jibs, cranes, tripods, vehicle mounts, and other types of camera support equipment (additional mounting hardware, available separately, may be required).
- Solid Support Arm
- Increased rigidity is provided by a single, complete piece of fine-tooled magnesium that forms the U-shaped arm holding the camera plate. This unified design helps eliminate imperfection common in systems made of multiple pieces assembled together. The arm gives you not only greater stability but also reliability, as there is no potential for separate pieces to come loose or move apart
- Silent Mode
- When shooting indoors or in tight spaces, Silent Mode reduces the sound of each motor as low as possible. The Ronin-M’s stabilization algorithms are updated to focus on minute changes and stabilization, helping ensure the sound of the motors is not recorded by sensitive microphones or other recording equipment
- Quick Release Smart Battery
- Providing an estimated 6 hours of run time (depending on use), the proprietary Ronin-M battery system is designed for easy changes in the field and charges using a dedicated charger that is included. The batteries feature indicators so remaining power can be checked directly on the battery itself. Unlike may lithium-polymer batteries, with the Ronin-M Smart Battery, overcharge and over depletion protection is built-in, as is individual battery cell charge balancing.
- Power Distribution Box
- Two regulated 12V DC PowerTaps, one 500 mAh type A female USB connector, and also a connection point for the DJI Lightbridge Long Range HD Video Downlink are provided. These provide power connection for various accessories, including motorized follow focus systems, video transmitters, and more – all while keeping the wiring to a minimum.
- Quick Release Top Handle
- Designed to save time breaking the system down or transporting it between locations. Removing the handle bars can also be useful to reduce size when filming in tight locations.
- Based on Zenmuse Technology
- The Ronin-M adapts the same brushless motor technology used in DJI’s aerial gimbals for handheld, terrestrial use.
INSPECTION - The customer agrees that the equipment supplied by Able and listed below (The Equipment) is received in good working order and suitable for use and that the Renter is familiar with its operation. On return of Equipment Able staff will inspect all items if the Renter does not wait for inspection Able Video & Multimedia may charge Renter for any damaged found during inspection.
PAYMENT - The Renter agrees to pay Able rental charges until the equipment is returned in good working order and any other applicable charges specified in this agreement.
LATE RETURN - The Renter agrees to return the equipment to Able’s facility on time or pay extra rental charges due on a pro rata basis.
BREAKDOWN - The Renter shall notify Able Video and Multimedia of any breakdown of the Equipment and not attempt repairs. The Renter will not interfere in any way with any mechanical fittings or appliances attached to or forming part of the Equipment or, without the written consent of Able, have any repairs effected thereto by any person other than an employee of Able or such person as Able may nominate. The Renter agrees to accept Able or it’s qualified repairer’s determination as to whether the Equipment is faulty and the cause of the breakdown.
DAMAGE - The Renter agrees to pay for damage to the equipment. In the case of damage or injury (by fire, storm or through any cause whatsoever) to/by the equipment, it is agreed that the cost of repair, replacement or damages as the case may be (and any charges payable according to this agreement), shall be paid by the Renter to Able on demand. Any such charges may be deducted from a deposit (if taken) left by the Renter and the Renter shall pay the excess to Able Video and Multimedia on demand.
COMPENSATION - The customer agrees to pay for the cost of equipment lost or stolen.The Customer shall also pay to Able Video and Multimedia on demand a sum equal to the rental charges which Able Video and Multimedia could have obtained for the period from the date of commencement of the rental of the equipment damaged, lost or stolen to the date of receipt by Able Video and Multimedia of Payment of the repair or replacement.
INDEMNITY- The customer is responsible for accidents caused by use of the equipment.The Customer indemnifies, and keeps indemnified, Able Video and Multimedia in respect of its liability for personal injuries, property damages and any associated legal expenses arising out of any accident which might be caused by or contributed to by, or arise out of the use, operation or handling of the equipment during the term of rental.
RECOVERY OF EQUIPMENT - Able Video and Multimedia has the right to recover the Equipment if charges are not paid and the renter is responsible for any costs associated with the recovery process.
NO WARRANTY OR GUARANTEE – Able gives no warranty, express or implied, as to description, quality, merchantability, fitness for any particular purpose, productiveness, or any other matter of operation of the Equipment and accepts no responsibility for it’s use by the Renter. The Renter hereby waives any such remedies, warranties, guarantees or liabilities, expressed or implied, arising by law or otherwise, against Able.
GENERAL OBLIGATIONS OF CUSTOMER
The customer is responsible for pickup and delivery/return from/ to Able Video and Multimedia’s facility during business hours unless otherwise stated in this agreement. The equipment shall not be considered returned until a full inventory has been completed and any missing equipment or replacements for damaged parts have been delivered to Able Video and Multimedia’s facility.
The Customer acknowledges that all equipment rented remains the property of Able Video and Multimedia at all times and the Customer will not sell, charge, pledge or part with possession of the equipment.
The Renter shall insure, at their expense, all the Equipment at all times during the rental, for full replacement cost and for loss of use of the Equipment. Coverage must begin from before the time the Renter takes delivery of the Equipment and continue until the time the Equipment is returned and the rental expires. The Renter shall insure for risk coverage that is greater or equal to the replacement cost of all Equipment and any rental or other charges payable under this agreement, including transit/shipping, Public & other Liability Coverage, Property Insurance and Workers Compensation Insurance, prior to taking delivery of Equipment. Such insurance shall be written by reputable insurers. Notwithstanding this paragraph, the Renter shall remain primarily liable to Able for full performance under the terms and conditions of this Rental agreement and Able may enforce it’s remedies directly against the Renter without resort to their insurance.
Upon taking taken delivery of the equipment, the Renter’s responsibility includes, but is not limited to, risks while in transit, at all locations named and unnamed, and while in use, or storage at Able Video and Multimedia’s facility. The Renter’s responsibility is discharged when the equipment is returned and the rental term has expired. Equipment will not be deemed to have been returned until all of the following conditions have been met: 1) property has been brought back to the premises during normal business hours; 2) an inventory has been completed and a missing and damaged list has been compiled, if needed; and 3) the term of the Rental Contract has expired.
The Customer acknowledges having received the equipment in good working order and condition. The Customer may test the equipment at Able Video and Multimedia’s facility before taking delivery to ensure it is in good working order and condition prior to taking delivery. The Customer will use the equipment in a careful and proper manner and permit only skilled and experienced personnel to use the equipment and will not use the equipment in connection with any dangerous or hazardous activity.